Monday, December 8, 2014

The Creative Track

Our course syllabus required we pursue one of the following tracks to embody: the academic track, the professional track, or the creative track. I have a BFA; which one do you think I picked?

The creative track was the obvious choice for me. I'm a visual person, with a strong background in illustration and design, an affinity for writing, and a desire to identify creative methods to engage the public. Exploring Planning History and Theory as a graphic, interactive, grass-roots, and multi-faceted discipline is my gut instinct. 


Like some of the planners I researched,
I love people-watching and sketching. There is a
place for illustrators - people who see and draw -
in the planning world.
We had a few presentations to our peers throughout the semester, including a visual and an oral presentation. These seemed like perfect laboratories to explore new media. Done correctly, the material would spark energy and create a content-rich experience for my peers. Done poorly, it'd be a technical flop!


The skills I set out to develop, per my Planner Spheres and Hierarchies diagram, were Good Communicator, Confident, and Strategic. To be a confident, eloquent planning communicator was one of my – if not primary – goals of pursuing grad school. Developing my voice, knowing content thoroughly, and presenting to diverse audiences with conviction is a key professional goal. At work, I don't want to be afraid that peers or meeting attendees will ask a question I don’t know the answer to. Conversely, I want to ask the right questions to spark thoughtful dialogue and creative solutions. I love creating products that people enjoy reading or viewing - stuff that adds value, engages in meaningful ways, and promotes contribution, not static, not tired plans that sit on a shelf.

The attributes I focused on were Flexible (open to new tools, technologies, and ways of thinking), and Visionary (forward thinking, yet rooted in reality). These embody the planners’ spirit, rather than learned skills. However, building confidence in these skills fosters the attributes.

I’d like to steer my planning practice towards the intersection of urban design with environmental and social sustainability. Focusing on the work of urban design experts Kevin Lynch, Jan Gehl, and William Whyte seemed the most appropriate. Mark suggested I expand my research to include Jan Jacobs, Ann Whiston Spirn, and possibly Ian McHarg.

No comments:

Post a Comment